Thursday, May 8, 2008

Go back to sleep


Recently I’ve tried a little mind experiment, and I quite like what I've come up with. At least, I’ll keep it in mind for the time being.

We’re so sure, and we never question, that the waking state is higher than mere sleep. I mean of course our level of consciousness is higher when we’re up out of bed. Or is it?

Ignore consciousness for the moment – let’s look at being. Specifically, let’s consider our connectedness to each other, the planet, the universe and our roots. No one is going to convince me that awake we’re more ‘at one’. Then there’s a sense of individuality and otherness. The illusion is of being a separate entity. We’re inside the drama. Time feels real, space feels real, the cinematography or our lives feels as if it's actually happening.

We forget all that when we sleep. At that time we’re centred. We’re where we’re meant to be, and we draw nourishment from that.

We’re not wakeful beings needing to sleep. We are the one source that dips into regularly into wakefulness to experience a dream.

I’ve often wondered why each day, for me, starts off as anew, and that I tackle tasks from square one out of habit. Perhaps the illusion is stronger in others: that theirs is a continuing existence that is punctuated by periods of unconsciousness. I know different.