Thursday, May 8, 2008

Kid stuff


We assume that the adult form is more ‘advanced’ than the immature version. We grow, get bigger, that must be better, no? Our memories accumulate – surely so does our wisdom. I’m playing around with the idea that ‘it ain’t necessarily so’.

If you don’t subscribe to the notion of time, then life is just one long jabberwocky that stretches in the fourth dimension. You have the head at one end and the tail at the other. Childhood is the head, you can’t deny that.

Often in middle-age I’ve returned to reformulate a concept that I realize knew perfectly well in my single digits without having to beat about the brain to pin it down. I seem(ed) to know stuff then that I since been encouraged to forget and then have to painfully retrieve. Maybe I’ll get to wisdom by the end, but it certainly wasn’t absent when I was starting out.