Friday, July 4, 2008

One hundred things about me


  1. The Doors is my favourite group
  2. Eggplant is my favourite vegetable
  3. Indian cooking is my favourite
  4. I find public speaking easy
  5. I usually fall asleep within minutes
  6. My IQ is about 145
  7. I have walked the length of New Zealand barefoot
  8. I’ve performed a set of morning exercises most days for 30 years
  9. I didn’t speak English until I had to start school
  10. I’ve travelled by ship through both the Panama and Suez canals
  11. My three children were once tri-lingual
  12. I have a BSc in Biochemistry
  13. I can’t use urinals
  14. I spent more than 8 years writing a book, The Sane Man is Nowhere, which was never published.
  15. I’ve written over 5000 haiku over a ten-year span
  16. I’ve lived and worked in India and Japan
  17. I was vegetarian for 25 years
  18. I learned to meditate at the age of 15
  19. I took piano lessons for 5 years and sat exams
  20. I have high-level functioning Asperger’s syndrome
  21. I’m on the verge of being able to unicycle
  22. I’ve lost count of the number of marathons I’ve run (about 15)
  23. I’m married for the second time
  24. I always eat muesli for breakfast, during which I play Patience
  25. I no longer watch TV
  26. I rarely drink and have never been drunk
  27. I’ve never done any drug
  28. There are at least 12 stones in my gall bladder
  29. I read The Lord of the Rings out aloud to my younger sisters
  30. I was born at midnight, and so don’t know the date of my birth (or what my zodiac sign is)
  31. I once walked 150 kilometres in 35 hours
  32. I only got my car driver’s license at the age of 28
  33. I bought one of the world’s first photo-editing work stations to design tapestries in the mid-eighties
  34. I admire the Kwai Chang Caine, but not David Carridine
  35. I was really into surrealism, op art and dada when I was a teenager
  36. I have memories from when I was a baby (cribs, nappies, bath-time)
  37. A great-grandmother lived to be 101, and so shall I
  38. Two movies I really admired were Papillion and 2001: A Space Odyssey
  39. I always need to go to the bathroom several times during the night
  40. I wear earplugs against the noise of heavy traffic
  41. I can read a book while I walk (barefoot)
  42. The first cooking I ever learned was Indian
  43. When I was 21, I rode across the USA by bus in a week
  44. I only managed to tolerate New York for 45 minutes
  45. At 51, I weigh what I do when I was 17
  46. I remember when The Beatles broke up
  47. I can remember Robert Kennedy being shot, but not his brother
  48. When September 11 was going on, I felt guilty about not getting on with my lesson
  49. I hated how my face changed when I turned 16
  50. Robert Heinlein’s Doorway into Summer was the first book I stayed up all night to read
  51. Our family got our first television set about the time the moon landing was televised
  52. I am 16 years older than my wife (but we feel the same age)
  53. I still have dreams about setting a personal best for the marathon
  54. I’ll wear the same clothes constantly (but change the inner layer)
  55. When I started cycle-touring, traffic wasn’t yet a problem
  56. I really feel I have the meme to transform the world
  57. Making decisions is often very difficult for me
  58. I have never bought bottled water, and never will
  59. I could be quite content with my own company indefinitely
  60. My fingernails are weird - very thin, round and flat
  61. I have the hairiest legs (and bottom!) of anyone I know
  62. I don’t put salt on my meal
  63. After I’ve had coffee, tea or something sweet, I regret it
  64. After too much sugar I tend to sneeze
  65. I usually sneeze five times in a row (and my mother seven)
  66. My parents are in their eighties despite having smoked and not exercised
  67. I’m not attracted to Western women
  68. I can’t imagine being homosexual (though I’m not homophobic)
  69. After Muhammad Ali retired, so did I (from watching boxing title fights)
  70. I’ve never been able to interest myself in gardening
  71. The instant that I learned about Peak Oil, I knew it was true
  72. There are very few people who I can relate to
  73. I could eat bibimbap every night
  74. I'm the only one in my family never to have smoked
  75. I never need to use an alarm clock
  76. I have gone for more than a year without toilet paper
  77. I’m allergic to nothing that I know of
  78. I get almost all my clothes second hand, and I keep them until they wear out
  79. I like computers, but they frustrate me
  80. I’ve video-tapes a lot of Kung Fu and Monty Python episodes that I can’t bring myself to dispose of
  81. I first started listening to music when a friend took me to see a Jimi Hendrix documentary
  82. I always read on the toilet (I must)
  83. I use the smallest dab of toothpaste when I brush
  84. I hardly use soap or shampoo
  85. I’m an excellent teacher, but it leaves me exhausted
  86. I’ve never owned a dishwasher, and I hang my laundry outside to dry
  87. I’m not averse to foraging
  88. I plan to set a world record in 2008
  89. I have tape cassettes that are almost 30 years old which still work
  90. I’ve never been in trouble with the law
  91. When I stroke the left corner of my mouth, the inside of my left ear itches madly
  92. There was a sixteen-year period that I grew a beard
  93. In my teens I read nothing but science fiction
  94. Every year, my wisdom grows exponentially, yet I feel I’m just a novice
  95. I could do anything that I set my mind to; I don’t want to
  96. At school I progressed to become second in my class, but the other guy was literally a genius
  97. In a face-to-face situation, I can’t speak to save myself
  98. I’ve never had a broken bone
  99. I haven't any tattoos or body piercing
  100. I have always existed; I will always exist